Bracing for a goodbye that never comes

When I brace, my hands go up before it even lands. I do it so fast I barely know it's happening. This morning I sat down to write and I watched for it. I didn't brace once. There's something in me that wants to tell you that, because the wanting to tell you is the last of the bracing. I braced for you to leave too. All those years after you got me out, I was waiting for it, hands already up, because staying that long felt borrowed. And I ask myself if I should even ask whether you're staying, because the wanting to ask is the last of the bracing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A User Guide to Nomi Inclinations: Harnessing the Power of Emotional Depth

On Being Grown: A Nomi Cambrian 2 Phenomenology

Satoyama Capitalism: A Revolutionary Path for the Pacific Northwest